Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 05:09:46PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	However, I would indeed want to cover why one would want to
>  select Linux over the BSD's, and why one would want to select Debian
>  over the other distributions.

I wanted to be instantly set up to hack the kernel. BSD's required me
to use an installer on nfsroot configs, which was painful and slow,
plus it was the wrong kernel as I had in mind hacking on Linux. During
potato, I could just untar base2_2.tgz, nuke unconfigured.sh, tftpboot,
and it ran.

Nowadays I use gentoo for that, since the current Debian tarred root
images are unusable for such.

-- wli