On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:24:26PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > That he's since described Debian as being
> > led by hypocrites and incompetents
> I thought we where not led by the people Nathanael was critisizing in
> this thread.

That's not what I was referring to.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01914.html

> I believe Nathanael just got massively frustrated from constantly
> hitting the wall of silence.

*shrug* Most people grow out of temper tantrums when they're toddlers.

> However working around a lagged and unresponsive port is a lot
> harder.

None of the ports are significantly lagged at the moment.

> Apparently developers waiting for their packages or
> depencies compiled should just stfu and wait indefinetly until
> the silent gods running the buildd have mercy upon you and compile
> the package.

They should help if they're able, work around the problem if they need
to, or do other things. They shouldn't stir up trouble when there simply
isn't a serious problem...

> Just to make myself clear, most buildd maintainers do a spectacular
> job, all my (mostly stupid) questions and requests have been handled
> timely.

...as you point out.

> BTW, where has the "you can be helpfull to debian without being a DD"
> argument gone we heard so many times one NM prosess seemed jammed?

Nowhere. You can be helpful to Debian without being a DD. What Nathanael's
doing isn't being helpful, though; it's quite the opposite.

One of the problems with not being a developer is that no matter how
helpful you are, you don't get any particular say in how Debian's
run. If your patches are rejected, or your suggestions are ignored,
it's just tough luck. That changes a little when you're a developer;
but Nathanael's got no one to blame for not being a developer but himself.

> dont remember you saying so, thats not the point. However, I believe
> that is a good guideline, we shouldnt discriminate people just because
> they are not DD.

People who aren't developers have less experience working with Debian
almost by definition: there are a whole host of things you just can't
do as a developer. Having people with known and unavoidable holes in
their experience trying to make decisions for Debian is a bad thing,
IMO, and something well worth discriminating against.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004