* Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [2004-02-12 09:45]:
> Goswin is definitly willing to pass through n-m, and is at "waiting
> for DAM"-stage for too long time now.

Okay, let's look whether this assertion is really true.  So much has
been said about this without actually considering any facts, so let me
briefly describe what really happened.  Most of the time, NM has in
fact waited for Goswin rather than the other way around.

Let's start with the NM summary for Goswin,
http://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=brederlo%40informatik.uni-tuebingen.de

   Advocate Check                        Passed on 2000-08-25
   Application Manager Assigned          emschwar assigned on 2000-10-27
   ID Check                              Passed on 2000-12-12
   Philosophy and Procedures Check       Passed on 2000-11-07
   Tasks and Skills Check                Passed on 2000-01-11
   Application Manager recommends to DAM Approved on 2000-01-27

So clearly he has been waiting since January 2000, right?  (4 years).
Well, no.  First, you'll note that he was assigned in August 2000, so
the January 2000 is clearly a typo and should be 2001.  And in fact,
the AM report was sent "Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:09:21 -0700" so that makes
sense (I'll correct the dates on nm.d.o in a bit).

So has Goswin been waiting since January 2001?  Again, no.
Unfortunately, the AM report was not complete at all and so I asked
for some more information (something pretty common back then,
unfortunately, and it still happens sometime).  I sent Goswin some
answers on Wed, 9 May 2001 11:49:57 +0100.  Unfortunately, I didn't
receive any answers, so I pinged him.

1st ping: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:01:03 +0100
2nd ping: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:43:32 +0100
3rd ping: I talked to Goswin in IRL at LinuxTag in July 2001, and he
          was clearly aware that I was waiting for his answers and
          he said he'd respond soon.  Well, he didn't.
4th ping: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:05:44 +0200

I'm sure there were pings in 2002 as well, but I'm not looking that up
now.

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:43:10 +0100 (after waiting for 2 years for
Goswin) I got bored and said I'd reject is application if he wouldn't
complete it soon.  I'm actually surprised I waited so long.  These
days, I remove uncompleted applications much earlier and ask them to
re-apply when they have time/interest to finish it.  Anyway, Goswin
said he had lost my original mails and asked for the questions again.
I sent them and he finally responded on 01 Mar 2003 10:33:25 +0100.
(And to top this, I got a mail on 08 Mar 2003 15:51:35 +0100 asking
if I received them.  So after not answering for 2 years, I get a
reminder for not answering after a week.)

When an applicant needs 2 years to answer some simple questions and is
not particularly active otherwise [1], I certainly don't pass the
application to the DAM; first, I have to make sure that the person is
really active and shows a sustained contribution.  So I wanted to look
what Goswin was doing for Debian.  Since he inquired about his status
again, I talked to the DAM and formally put him on a 3 month
observation on 2003-09-16 to see whether he's active again.  Well,
that obviously ended on 2003-12-16 and Goswin has been waiting for the
DAM roughly since then (2004-01-11 to be precise because it took me a
while to decide whether the application was complete now).  So now it's
2003-02-12 which means Goswin has been waiting to the DAM for about a
month after the application was completed.

[1] He not only ignored my request for more information, but also
wasn't a good package maintainer.  The changelog from his package xlife:

 -- Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>  Wed,  6 Aug 2003 05:18:50 +0200
 -- Julien LEMOINE <speedblue@debian.org>  Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:28:23 +0100
 -- Edward Betts <edward@debian.org>  Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:24:53 -0600
 -- Edward Betts <edward@debian.org>  Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:56:08 -0600
 -- Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>  Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:45:17 +0200

(i.e. 2 maintainer uploads in 2.5 years plus 3 NMUs with the permission of the
maintainer.)

(Speaking for myself and NM Front Desk, but not as DPL or anything else.)
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com