Re: Status of glide and mesa-glide packages in Debian in light of recent glide development

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:49:24PM +0100, sapphirelug@linux.org.ba wrote:
> Glide 2.x is dumped in favor of Glide 3.x according to glide.sourceforge.net
> project page. Only glide 3.x is being maintained and further developed.

Well on debian systems I keep maintaining glide2 and have commited some
fixes upstream.

> Support for Voodoo2 exists I was told by Daniel Borca, glide and mesa
> developer, as well as other 2d/3d Voodoo boards. Voodoo 1, Rush
> apparently not supported.

Yes we don't have hardware currently to test and support that.

> I'm not sure 100% about this. Important for me is Voodoo2, because I
> have two of them Diamond Moster II 8 MB working in SLI mode.

> So, are you and when are you planning to:
>
> Dump glide 2.x packages,

I'm going to keep glide2 until it's merged with glide3.

> Replace mesag3-glide2 package with mesag3-glide3 perphaps

That should be coordinated with the mesa mainatiner. I'm CCing him.
Although I think he is a little busy now.

> Sync glide 3.x packages with current glide3.x tree, to include support
> for Voodoo2

Yes that's on my todo list, but as I merged the 64 bit support into
glide3 I've to merge that back into the upstream development branch.
I cannot upload a package without 64 bit support now.

> Make device3dfx-source work under linux kernel 2.6.x.

I did that yesterday but could not finish commiting my changes due some
sf.net network unreachable problems I had. I'm going to upload the
package soon. Altough take into account that device3dfx is only needed
with glide2.

> Can this be done in time for Sarge or is it a Sarge+ TODO.

Yes I want to have all this accomplished before sarge. Or at least
that's my intention.

regards,
guillem