Unable to authenticate after upgrade

Hi,
after my daily apt-get upgrade I'm unable to authenticate myself to the
system.  I've tried su, sudo and kdesu, and all have the same problem.
After entering the they just hang. It doesn't matter if the password is right
or wrong. It happens both for root and normal users.
I've tried strace'ing su, but when strace'd it always denies my login. I've
suspect this is normal behaviour.
I am able to ssh into normal accounts, but not the root account.
sudo aptitude does work, so I might be able to fix myself a setuid root shell.
I need this system for my work, so I don't dare logging out or rebooting.
I need help solving this. Does anybody know what is happening, or what to look
for next?

fyi: I'm using sid, with some packages (including X) from experimental.
--
Casper Gielen
casper@zvdk.nl