Re: summary of software licenses in non-free

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:54:07AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Craig Sanders dijo [Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 08:43:11AM +1100]:
> > > Maybe as a first measure, we could mass-file wishlist bugs against non-free
> > > packages, asking the maintainer to put a small paragraph into the copyright
> > > file with an explanation as to why this is in non-free?
> >
> > good idea.  perhaps something easily parsable like:
> >
> > Non-DFSG: 1, 3, 5
> >
> > to indicate clauses 1, 3, and 5 of the DFSG.
>
> I would advocate making this more prominent - This proposal is quite
> good, and it would add expresiveness to tools such as vrms... But I
> would like to see something like
> /usr/share/doc/package/why_is_nonfree, stating the reason (a couple of
> lines at least) so that our users have a better chance of seeing and
> understanding it.
>
> It has been suggested to put this in README.Debian - It would fit
> there, yes... But I'd rather see it more prominent.

Andrew Suffield pointed out in <20040110220021.GG892@suffields.me.uk>
that one can just put the reason into /usr/share/vrms/reasons/$package,
vrms already supports this. It wouldn't hurt to duplicate the reason
somewhere in /usr/share/doc/$package though, I guess.

Nobody objected to mass-bug-filing for adding those reasons there, so
I'll advance on this in the next couple of days.

Michael