Let me just share my experience with translations. For a long time I had a hell of a time getting complete translations for base-config, even though I thought it was kind of important. It is after all, one of the first things everyone sees during a new install. I tried to be as responsive as possible to bugs with translations (and other like Denis helped), I posted pleas for translations to the lists several times, etc. And I had perhaps 3 or 4 not quite complete translatons. Then I moved it from cvs.debian.org to alioth, and mentioned this on the debian-boot list and added all interested translators to the project. Now a month later, the released version is fully translated to ~20 languages. Yesterday, I committed a string change with this in debian/changelog: * Joey Hess - List the number of available packages in apt-setup/another. Today I cvs upped and noticed the following added after it: * TeÃ?Â³filo Ruiz SuÃ?Â¡rez  - Fixed Spanish translation (po/es.po) * Christian Perrier - run debconf-updatepo - Fixed french translation (debian/po/fr.po) * Bart Cornelis - Updated Dutch translation (debian/po/nl.po) - fixs translation-bugs found by Bastiaan van Eeckhoudt * Ognyan Kulev - Updated bulgarian translation (debian/po/bg.po). * Claus Hindsgaul - Update Danish translation (da.po). * Konstantinos Margaritis - Updated Greek translation (el.po) * Dennis Stampfer - Updated German translation (de.po). * Miguel Figueiredo - Updated portuguese translation (pt.po) * AndrÃ?Â© LuÃ?Âs Lopes - Updated Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) translation. That's pretty seriously cool for less than 24 hours. Sure, there have been problems; some mistakes in the French translation combined with some new, non-robust code managed to break base-config for French. But obviously something has started going right for base-config's translations. I'm quite sure that the move to alioth, plus the debian-installer string freeze, were responsible. Now I'm trying to work out how to achieve similar success with others of my packages. This may result in me moving a fair amount of stuff from my personal server to alioth (though hopefully _not_ back to cvs..). I suspect though that some more infrastructure will be needed to have similar succees with, say, debconf. It would be nice to not have to manage adding translators to the project, and just be able to add some kind of translation group that includes all our translators. And then there would need to be some way for that group to keep track of the packages whose translations it maintains, and this group would have to be motivated to work on packages outside debian-installer, which our current group of d-i translators may not be. Anyway, I'm obviously leaning a lot toward revision control with direct commit access for translators, and away from both the debian BTS as a way to get translations in, as well as away from the kind of idea proposed in the head of this thread. -- see shy jo  Apologies for probably mangling this uft-8 encoded name in this email.
Description: Digital signature