Where are we now? (Was: Bits from the RM)

I was interested how we're doing according to AJ's original timetable,
so had a read and see how we're doing given we've just passed the third
date milestone...

This is given "without comment", that is I'm not trying to start a
flamewar here.

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 07:49, Anthony Towns wrote:

> 	* August 19th (now)
>
> 		0-day NMUs (as of the 23rd)
>
> 		Development versions of packages expecting to include
> 		major changes in sarge uploaded to experimental.
>
> 		Drop the RC bug list by ~150 bugs to ~700
> 		(via removals and fixes)
>
> 		Beta testing of debian-installer by adventurous users
> 		(subscribe to debian-boot, and try CVS or the images at
> 		http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/d-i/images/daily/)
>
> 		Beta testing of upgrades over the network and with sarge
> 		CD images
> 		(available under http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/ . May
> 		be bootable, depending on your luck. Only for the truly
> 		adventurous)

I think it's fair to say that most of these happened as expected.

> 	* September 1st
>
> 		0-day NMUs
>
> 		Last major changes to toolchain packages

Hear that doogie?  Do ya?  Do ya? <grins>

> 		Drop the RC bug list by ~200 bugs to ~500
> 		(via removals and fixes)

(ignoring this for now)

> 		HOWTO use debian-installer to install sarge posted to
> 		-devel-announce (volunteers appreciated)

Ah yes, what a wonderful read that was ... no, wait, this never
happened.

> 		Beta testing of installation with sarge CD images by
> 		adventurous users

There are sarge CD images?  gosh.

> 	* September 15th
>
> 		Drop the RC bug list by ~150 bugs to ~350
> 		(via better accounting, removals and fixes)

(ignoring this again)

> 		Beta testing of the installation (debian-installer, tasksel,
> 		base-config, package installs, CD images, everything)

Is everything even ready for this yet?

> 		debian-installer hackfest at Oldenburg, Germany
>
> 		Last major changes to major packages uploaded to unstable
>

> 	* October 1st
>
> 		Drop the RC bug list by ~150 bugs to ~100
> 		(via removals, fixes and workarounds)

Current RC bug stats:

Total number of release-critical bugs: 679
Number that will disappear after removing packages marked [REMOVE]: 53
Number that have a patch: 94
Number that have a fix prepared and waiting to upload: 29
Number that are being ignored: 15
Number on packages not in testing: 197

So with a bit of math, that sounds like 414 RC bugs left, with 123 that
have either patches (why aren't they applied?) or pending (why aren't
they uploaded?)

We're a HELL of a long way north of the target of 100 RC bugs left!

> 		1st test cycle, public request for comments

Excellent, time for a public test cycle...

> 		Last minute fixes and changes to the installer

Who'd've thought that "make it work on most of the architectures"
counted as a "last minute fix"?

I think it's fair to say that we're not going to reach the following
state within 14 days unless a miracle, or a hell of a lot of work
happens:
> 	* October 15th
>
> 		Drop the RC bug list by ~100 bugs to ~0
> 		(via fixes, workarounds, wishful thinking and ignorance)
>
> 		Final, last minute, low-risk bug fixes only
>
> 		Get support for sarge up and running on security.debian.org
>
> 		2nd test cycle, public request for comments

So "Where are we now?"  Having played with d-i some and kept a watchful
eye on the release-critical list, I guess we're currently at the
"September 15th" dateline which puts us roughly 14 days behind schedule.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?