Generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages

Hello,

I volunteered to sponsor loki packages for Carleos Artime
<carleos@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es>.  The initial uploaded files are available
at

auric:/org/ftp.debian.org/incoming/REJECT> ll loki*
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin   218108 May  1 16:03 loki-doc_2.4.6-1_all.deb
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin    29765 May  1 16:03 loki_2.4.6-1.diff.gz
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin      602 May  1 16:03 loki_2.4.6-1.dsc
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin     1967 May  1 16:03 loki_2.4.6-1_i386.changes
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin   359780 May  1 16:03 loki_2.4.6-1_i386.deb
-rw-r--r--    1 troup    debadmin      624 May  4 21:24 loki_2.4.6-1_i386.reason
-rw-rw----    1 troup    debadmin   871897 May  1 16:03 loki_2.4.6.orig.tar.gz

The reason file states:

    The generally accepted cut-off limit for -doc packages is ~500k of
    installed data; loki-doc isn't even half that.  Please consider
    merging the loki-doc package back into loki?

So I asked James Troup in private mail:

> Sorry I have not heared about such a "generally accepted cut-off limit for
>  -doc packages".  Ist it documented anywhere?
His answer was in the tense that I should clearly know and I should look
for this.

Sorry for my ignorance but I thought that there is a reference for his
rejection statement.  I just made sure that the maintainer which I volunteered
to sponsor builded the package compliant to debian-policy 3.5.9.0 which says:

     If a package comes with large amounts of documentation which many
     users of the package will not require you should create a separate
     binary package to contain it, so that it does not take up disk space
     on the machines of users who do not need or want it installed.

I did not found a reference to a cut-off limit and would like to know which
additional document to debian-policy would define such a limit.

Any hints / opinions?  If there is really a cut-off limit this should be
documented in developers-reference and a lintian check should make sure
that maintainers will be informed.

Kind regards

        Andreas.