Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

Hello, all.

I've only just returned from spending the long weekend out of town. Of course, I've awoken to find a rather large thread on debian-devel regarding attribution issues with my packages of reiserfsprogs. You can imagine my excitement :)

As a result, I've privately emailed Hans to try to resolve the issue. I would like to apologize to debian-devel for the traffic this has generated over the past few days.

In any case, I'll keep you posted. If you have any comments, concerns, or strong opinions, please feel free to email me directly. I would like to balance the wishes of the software's upstream authors with wishes of the package's users as well as possible, and would apprciate knowing how you feel. For instance, if Hans insists on retaining the complete sponsorship message verbatim, how strongly would you, as users of the package, feel about the issue?

Anyway, I'm confident that the issues will be resolved swiftly and amicably. If nothing else, I do intend to upload a new version of the package with the upstream README included (yes, that was an oversight), and the extra licensing clauses included in debian/copyright (which I had missed due to taking COPYING as authoritative), if no agreement on the sponsorship-message issue is reached in the next couple of days.

Ideally, I think, including the verbatim message in a separate file ("SPONSORS"?) and including a reference to that file in mkreiserfs' output should serve as an acceptable balance. I'm willing to reconsider that position, however, if the authors and/or users disagree.

For free software,
Ed