Re: New virtual package name: network-configurator ?

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:15:56 -0600, Graham Wilson <bob@decoy.wox.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:08:52AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
>> I know of packages in the archive that are effectively replacements
>> for ifupdown, in that they configure network interfaces without using
>> ifup and ifdown to do it.
>
>just out of curiosity, what are these packages?

I don't know about that, but at my place of work we use a patched
ifupdown that allows an additional ifupdown method called "scripted"
allowing for VLAN and ATM configuration.

The trivial patch is in the BTS (#88948) since almost two years ago.
It doesn't break backwards compatibility at all. This is very
disappointing.

If we had a virtual package providing ifupdown, I would have been able
to publish my version of ifupdown, and the sophisticated scripts that
allow VLAN, ATM and more secure ethernet configuration.

Greetings
Marc