Re: Release-critical Bugreport for December 12, 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:34:12PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
> > BugScan reporter <bugscan@debian.org> writes:

> > > Package: chrony (debian/main)
> > > Maintainer: John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>
> > > [REMOVE]
> > >   223134 [        ] chrony: FTBFS: Errors in kernel headers

> > Why is chrony getting removed?

> AFAIU, the "[REMOVE]" tag means that the release manager thinks that
> *if* we do not succeed in fixing this bug, *then* it is reasonable to
> remove the package from sarge rather than letting it delay the
> release.  It does not imply that the bug is less likely to get fixed
> than bugs without the tag. (And if it does get fixed, of course it
> will not cause the package to be removed).

I'm not sure of the exact process by which the [REMOVE] tag appears in
the report.  At least in the testing scripts, manual intervention is
still required to remove a package from the removal list, so fixing the
bug doesn't automatically mean the package won't still be removed from
testing.

However, since fixing the bug in unstable doesn't immediately lead to
the bug's fixing in testing, this doesn't seem inappropriate to me.
There's certainly time to communicate with the Release Manager that
the package should no longer be considered a removal candidate.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer