Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Thursday 27 November 2003 23:29, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > > IF YOU WANT A DEBIAN SYSTEM USE THE DEBIAN INSTALLATION SYSTEM.  UNTIL
> > > WOODY IT WAS BOOTFLOPPY IT WILL BY DEBIAN-INSTALLER FOR SARGE<FULLSTOP>

Package: debix
Architecture: any
 Debix can create a live filesystem from any existing linux system or
 create a fresh system with debootstrap. By using the device mapper
 from LVM 2 the live filesystem only needs a new initial ramdisk and
 otherwise uses the existing system unchanged as loopback image.
 When creating a live filesystem from scratch knoppix like
 autodetection features and the official debian boot-floppies and/or
 debian-installer can be included to make a more confortable
 installation.

There is debix-imager package also ... and this is completely on the topic
which reads 'Integrate Knoppix in Debian'.

> > So you're saying (nay, shouting) that even contemplating creating
> > another way to get the base system installed and configured is somehow
> > morally wrong? How do you reach that conclusion?
>
> Nothing.  Just the continousely intents to post off topic in this
> thread made me crazy.  I hate it if someone answers questions I did
> not asked and tell me afterwards what I should have asked.  Sometimes,
> even if very seldomly, I start shouting under this conditions.
>
> Feel free to do anything including keep this subject for a thread which
> has nothing to do with the topic of the subject.

Feel free to check it out:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/debix login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/debix co .

> > It's not as if installation would be the only task for which Debian
> > provided or allowed more than one alternative. How many MTAs do we
> > have? How many web browsers?
>
> I will not stop anybody to invent a further installer for Debian.
> Instead I should enforce people to invent the fourth wheel because
> we had recently a thread about three different installers and we
> really need four to get a nice car.  But please mark the discussion
> by a sane topic that I will be able to safe my spare time for things
> I'm interested in.
>
> > > Anybody who expects to get a Debian system by installing any CD which
> > > has not the main description DEBIAN on it is wrong.
> >
> > Says who?
>
> Me. You just quoted me, remember?
>
> > I cannot see how such a discussion can be a bad thing.
>
> Discussion is great and I would love if it would end in a good
> result but please mark the topic like:
>   "New generation installer: Live CD approach"
> or whatever.

The official debian boot-floppies and/or debian-installer could be used,
there's nothing wrong to explore b-f & d-i in this way. The so called 'new
generation' here is 'Create a live filesystem from an existing system or from
scratch' on-user-demand.

--
pub  4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <keyserver.bu.edu>
1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB