Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 05:27:22PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
>
> > Ummm... You are wrong here. Knoppix (or Knoppix-derived versions) provide
> > three things:
> I do not intend to argue who is wrong here.  At least I had several talks
> with Klaus Knopper in his mother tongue and I'm very sure that he intended
> to make a live CD.  The hdinstall script (and its modifications / rewrites)
> was hidden a long time to allow only experienced users to do what Klaus
> regarded as nice contribution.

Sorry, I don't intend to discuss on this. Still, the hdinstall stuff is one
of the things people creating derived live-cd versions (or live-cds made
from scratch) are very fond of. This is the thing that has enabled Linex,
for example, to be deployed on 3200 computers (200 different
schools). Even if this was not a side effect that Klaus was interested in,
it's definitely something that others feel as important.

> > 4- a system to duplicate this live Cd into hard disk, making the necessary
> > changes based on what was auto-detected.
> Well, this is your interpretation of Knoppix.  It is a nice feature but
> there is no reference that Klaus Knopper has this purpose in mind (even if
> it works).  That's why I was talking always about a live CD - and this is
> my main goal for Custom Debian distributions.  The install feature would be
> a nice add on, but not the primary goal.  We have d-i.

d-i is perfect for a custom installation, it's never going to be a system
in which everything is already predefined and the user just says 'install
this'. Notice that the step 4 is linked a lot with 3. If the live-cd
distribution is not customised it makes not sense to install it to hard
disk, if it is, it makes all the sense.

> > The nice part of Knoppix is not that it auto-detects hardware since this
> > can be done already in Debian
> You are definitely missing the point here:  I do not want to install Debian.
> I want to go to a teacher in a scool, a customer or to a random PC I want
> to run my MagicPoint presentation, put my live CD into it and leave the
> PC as it was before once I'm ready.

That's what you want to do. That's not what others might want, I'm giving
another POV.

> > Hope that clears up the idea
>                       ^^^
> Please specify "the" in the centence above.  I guess you mean "my idea of
> how I want to use Knoppix".  This is perfectly OK and useful.  But there
> are other ideas worth thinking about it.

Sorry, "the idea" meant "the idea of the people working in the Metadistros
project". I'm sure that there are other points of view, I'm just sharing
those of others projects which should try to integrate with Debian too.
Still, the idea has to mature IMHO in order for this to be done.

Regards

Javi