Re: MIPS port backlog, autobuilder machines and some arrogance

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 02:46:07PM +1100, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:

 > Actually, Linux has been ported to all of the CPUs and systems I had
 > in mind; in fact, ported by the vendor since there's demand for Linux.
 > The 1 GHz dual-cores I mentioned are one from Broadcom (which drow
 > also mentioned) and another one developed by PMC-Sierra.
 >
 > See http://www.broadcom.com/products/product.php?product_id=BCM1250
 > and http://www.momenco.com/products/jag-atx.html

 Ah... I suspected that :-)  "_very_ powerful" is a matter of
 perspective.  While the newer MIPS processors are indeed very fine
 pieces of hardware, these machines are targeted towards very specific
 markets where requirements are slightly different from those in the HPC
 community.  Sure, noone will stop you from getting decent connectivity
 on these things and putting a bunch of them in a cluster configuration
 (and considering the historical record of the MIPS architecture in the
 floating point arena, this is probably an attractive proposition... if
 the price tag was a bit lower)

 _I_ was thinking of something with a "somewhat" larger power
 consumption.  One can only hope SGI will survive long enough...

 Thanks for the info to both of you guys,

 Marcelo,
 wondering what do the MIPS folk do with Debian in the real world...