Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:35:57AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > The problem with your pragmatic approach is that every of your users has
> > other packages he cares about. A package you care zero about might be
> > the killer application for some users.
>
> > This might not be a problem if it happens for one package, but if it
> > happens for e.g. 500 packages the sum of people affected by at least one
> > of these removals will be quite large.
>
> > If someone wants to answer "But noone cared enough to fix this package!"
> > now, he forgets that there is a distinction between developers and users
> > of Debian.
>
> Er, why point out the distinction between developers and users?  Are you
> now suggesting that we have an obligation to maintain any packages that
> users ask for, even when those packages are not of interest to *any*
> developers?

Yes you have: Debian Social Contract:

4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

     We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
     community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We
     will support the needs of our users for operation in many different
     kinds of computing environment.

Since noone can be forced to maintain something he/she doesn't want
the only way out is making the user a developer, helping him along
where he/she stumbles.

MfG
        Goswin