Re: Package which uses jam (instead make)

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:57:34 +0200, Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> said:

>> > Even if he was, that would be fine if he knew how to do it
>> > properly.
>>
>> Policy 4.8:
>>
>> This file must be an executable makefile, and contains the
>> package-specific recipes for compiling the package and building
>> binary package(s) from the source.
>>
>> There was a lot of discussion of this some years ago (possibly in
>> relationship to shoop?). I don't remember why we don't allow
>> anything that meets the expected interface.

> Because we're fools. :)

	We would be even more foolish to yank out a published
 interface to our build system.

> The "must" in the new meaning is an accidental byproduct of
> conversion to the new language.

	Accidental or not, it has been an established part of the
 infrastructure for the whole life of ./debian/rules convention; and
 ought not to be easy ro change.

	manoj
--
"The light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long, and you have
burned so very, very bright, Roy!" Doctor Eldon Tyrell, in Blade