Re: /etc/hostname

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 08:52:07PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 10:20, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > However, I've seen problems caused by the use of the short name only in
> > /etc/hostname (mostly mail-related, maybe?) and I systematically change
> > this to hold the FQDN on my systems.  Haven't filed a bug about this,
> > because I'm not sure if it's a real bug, or if this just happens to be
> > the easiest kludge for working around the other symptoms I see.

> Most likely, you need to fix /etc/hosts

Perhaps; in which case, my objection is that /etc/hosts isn't set up
sanely by default upon install. :)

One way or another, I have to twiddle files (/etc/hostname, /etc/hosts)
after installing a machine to make sure it properly knows who it is.  It
would be nice to have this handled more smoothly by default.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer