Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge
On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 07:37:10AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <email@example.com> wrote:
> > Given an explicit kernel-patch-debian, containing architecture-agnostic
> > differences between kernel.org source and Debian's kernel source,
> > arch-specific merges could be mostly automated, and security fixes could be
> > made in one place.
> How does this automate the arch-specific merges where conflicts arise?
1. unpack pristine kernel source
2. apply Debian patch
3. dry-run arch-specific patch
4. if no conflicts, test and release, otherwise:
5. apply arch-specific patch to pristine kernel source
6. 3-way merge between pristine kernel source, Debian tree, and
7. resolve marked conflicts by hand
Obviously conflicts must be resolved manually, hence the "mostly" above.
This is relatively straightforward to do within a source package, given
direct access to the (separate) pristine kernel source and Debian patch.