Re: New virtual package: festival-voice (bug#112565)

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:16:42 +0000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>> Policy requires discussing new virtual packages on d-d...
>
> Unless the virtual package is only to be used amongst a group of
> cooperating packages (Policy section 2.3.5).  I think this would
> qualify.

I don't know whether the voice data is useful for any other software, and
I'm a new developer, so I thought I'd err on the side of caution and ask.

> If multiple packages containing the data can be installed, though, you
> will of course need to use the alternatives system to manage which one
> gets used.

That is controlled via festival directly. Using alternatives is probably
not right in this case; there's a system-wide default file where root can
enter the default. You don't use alternatives for the system-wide default
choice of 75- vs. 100-dpi fonts either; the same applies here, IMHO.
--
Matthias