Re: Announcing Debian Package Tags

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:24:19 -0400, David Roundy <droundy@abridgegame.org> said:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:46:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:06:14 -0400, David Roundy
>> <droundy@abridgegame.org> said:
>> > probably wouldn't hid mp3blaster.  Maybe novices should only be
>> > shown gui programs after all.  They probably don't want to be
>> > using a shell anyways...
>>
>> I would object to such a major disservice to people just because
>> they happen to be new to Linux.  This is blatant discrimination.

> I wasn't saying that novices shouldn't be using a shell.  Just that
> I do think it would be helpful to allow novices, if they wish, to
> browse only those packages which don't require the use of a shell,
> which hardly seems discriminatory to me.

	To be precise, you said "Maybe novices should only be shown
 gui programs after all". Not that novices should be allowed to decide
 to only view gui programs IF THEY WISH, as you said later. The first
 message impled that some one other than novices decides what to show
 them, then you toned it down to being a choice of the end user, which
 is acceptable.

	manoj
--
It will be generally found that those who sneer habitually at human
nature and affect to despise it, are among its worst and least