Re: /run and read-only /etc

Sorry to reopen this at such a late date, but I'm way behind on -devel.

"Hi, I'm Karl and I maintain login and passwd."

Thomas Hood <jdthood0@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>   * pam, shadow
>       Allow either /etc/nologin or /run/nologin to prevent non-root logins

I don't like the idea of having multiple files to turn off logins.  (I
can't log into my system, and /etc/nologin doesn't exist!  What? didn't you
know about this *other* file?) I also don't want to solve this with a
symlink.

I would favor (even though it's weird from the pan-unix admin point of
view) just deprecating /etc/nologin in favor of something more "sensible".

It would also be nice to have some blessing of /run in the policy first,
but that doesn't seem terribly likely.

These are not strongly held positions.  Please do try to convince me to be
less of an obstruction

kcr