Re: experimental conffile merge for dpkg

> Why two-way merge instead of three-way?

Because of...

> Unfortunately neither is currently possible at the moment, simply
> because dpkg doesn't save a copy of the last installed config file
> anywhere.

...this.

I thought it would make big difference to have even 2-way merging now instead
of none at all, and that there really ought to be a more intuitive tool for
the job than sdiff. So actually, imediff2 was my main goal and dpkg was
"just" the main motivation for making it.

If we can agree wether or not, how and where the original conffiles should be
saved, I'll be happy to implement 3-way merging to dpkg and write imediff3 as
a user friendly UI for it. Opinions?

- Jarno