Re: curl, testing and gcc-3.2 (?) (was Re: Debian curl package depends on gcc-3.2?)

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:43:50PM +0200, Bj?rn Stenberg wrote:

> > Note that the version shown is simply the current libgcc.so version.
>
> Current as of when? When the upload was done?

Current at package build time, that is when dpkg-shlibdeps is run.

> > dpkg-shlibdeps has no idea whether an older version would be sufficient,
> > so it plays safe.
>
> Isn't this a problem? Especially for packages depending on libraries with
> long release cycles, such as libgcc1 and libc6.

Not often.  Most slow release libraries are strongly backwards
compatible.  When it does become a problem, it can be terrible for a
few weeks.  Lots of packages need to be rebuilt.  Unstable becomes,
well, unstable.  Then things get back to the normal level of chaos.

Jim Penny