Re: Why is only the latest unstable package considered for testing?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:56:22AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:10:52AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > It could be a nice solution to this kind of solution though.
>
> Trying to think up solutions for problems that don't exist, eh?

So, why is the new libvrobis not in testing ? Sure, saying there is no
problem and just ignoring the people that have problems is a way of not
being bothered, but it doesn't help for much more than pissing your
fellow developers.

As said, we hold a mini-freeze for the ocaml packages and co, we worked
on this since a few months, and all this for nothing, because of two
small binding packages that almost nobody uses are in testing and
holding us back because they depend on postgresql and libvorbis, and
nobody cares if these packages enter in testing or not. Did you see the
postgresql maintainer's call for help ? I notice that nobody even
bothered to respond. I would do it, but really know nothing about
postgresql, so i don't think i would be of any help.

And because of that, i have packages ready that fix a bunch of bugs, but
i have not yet uploaded because of this, and i get weekly mail from
users asking me why ocaml 3.06 is not yet in testing, while it has been
a valid candidate for 3 month or so. Also, i have searched for the
reason of this, and with my fellow ocaml maintainers we have come to a
conclusion about this, and i asked ftp-master about the removal of two
packages from testing, and just got ignored. And you, you tell me i am
thinking about problems that don't exist. I can't believe that. Go fix
the postgresql bug or some of the libvorbis ones and then speak to me
again.

Friendly,

Sven Luther