Re: libkpathsea3 incompatibility problem

From: Julian Gilbey <jdg@polya.uklinux.net>
Subject: Re: libkpathsea3 incompatibility problem
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:49:51 +0000

> > I'm not sure but I suspect that dviwares might have no problem
> > at all and only jtex-bin, multex-bin and ptex-bin (and few more?)
> > would have problem.
>
> polya:~ $ cweave
> cweave: Symbol `kpse_format_info' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

In this case, it will be another choice to include cweb
in tetex-* packages as you know.

And as far as I tested in a bit old system with only the
newest libkpathsea3 installed

civic:~$ dpkg -l libkpathsea3 tetex-bin jtex-bin ptex-bin dvipsk-ja dvi2ps xdvik-ja
ii  libkpathsea3   2.0-2          shared libkpathsea for teTeX
ii  tetex-bin      1.0.7+20021025 teTeX binary files
ii  jtex-bin       1.8-5.1        Japanese TeX (NTT version) and other japanes
ii  ptex-bin       3.0.5+0.04-2   ASCII pTeX binary files
ii  dvipsk-ja      5.90a+jp1.5g-3 DVI-to-PostScript translator with Japanese s
ii  dvi2ps         3.0a1-5        TeX DVI-driver for NTT jTeX, MulTeX and ASCI
ii  xdvik-ja       22.15-j1.04-4  X-window TeX previewer using vflib2 for Japa

- dviwares like xdvik-ja, dvipsk-ja seemed to work fine
as I expected though they showed the same message as cweave.

civic:~/scr/tex/sample/platex$ dvips -f plnews07 > plnews07.ps
dvips: Symbol `kpse_format_info' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
This is dvips(k) 5.90a p1.5g Copyright 1996-2002 ASCII Corp.(www-ptex@ascii.co.jp) based on dvips(k) 5.90a Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2003.02.21:0957' ->
<texc.pro><texps.pro>. <cmsy10.pfb><cmbx10.pfb><cmss10.pfb><cmmi10.pfb>
<cmr7.pfb><cmbx12.pfb><cmtt10.pfb><cmr10.pfb><cmr17.pfb>[1] [2]

- However dvi2ps has a bit problem.  It has a special
mechanism "fontdesc" for font searching in additin to
kpathsea but it seemed that mechanism did not work and
simply usual kpathsea worked so it failed to find Japanes
fonts (but no problem with English/ascii fonts, perhaps)

- jtex-bin and ptex-bin seemed to work fine if they were
already installed.  They might cause the problem only
at installation or removal.

So I suspect there would be only a few or several packages
which really need to be setted Conflicts: in libkpathse3.

Best regards,		       2003.2.21(Fri)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima