Re: build-depends loop debhelper and debconf

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:08:39AM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:27:29PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> [...]
> > I am going to keep fidling, it appears this compiling debconf for
> > woody may be harder then I first anticipated (eg. it build-depends on
> > po-debconf which depends of gettext in unstable).
>
> I gave some explanations about po-debconf dependencies in #172344

Solution: split the package ;-).

Seriously, I recompiled gettext from sid for woody, it seemed to be
reasonably straight forward, and I don't know if the build process of
debconf requires debconf-gettextize or not.

I have also got debhelper now in my archive, and it works. I forced it
to install, with --force-depends. This enabled me to build debconf,
which solved the dependancy loop.

debhelper seems to work well enough to build fontconfig, required by
libxft. I tried building libxft2 for woody, but gave up (it seems
to require X 4.2.0 libs). With the built version of fontconfig, I
successfully built Mozilla 1.2.1-9[1] for woody, minus the xft stuff.
It seems to work, too. Amazing!

All of these files are available or will be available from my archive
deb http://www.microcomaustralia.com.au/debian/ stable main
OR
deb http://www.microcomaustralia.com.au/debian/ unstable main
(for stuff I am not ready to install on all my woody computers just yet).

Notes:
[1] Yes, somebody is going to say "But I already did this, you can
download the result from http://some.host/some/where";. Yeah, right,
whats the fun in being a DD if you can't reinvent the wheel ;-).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>