Re: Doom of Debian Re: Debian Weekly News - February 18th, 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:02:36PM +0100, Davide Inglima wrote:
> Martin Schulze wrote:
[snip micq debacle]
> While Anthony's proposal of "Reviewing all upstream changes" makes sense on
> a security standpoint, it will put the necessary strain to Debian to
> self-destruct the distribution.

Umm... and the proof of this is where?

> There already are problems to port 6000+ packages on (how many? 7? 11?)
> different architectures, this harmful easter egg could be the drop that
> tops off the distribution.

Odd. I don't hear DD's expressing disillusionment over Debian or Linux
just because of mICQ, and giving up the project because of it. On the
contrary, we are now aware of another source of potential security issues,
and will watch out for it. I think rather than causing DD's to become
disaffected, this will improve the overall quality of Debian.

> I have already begun to see growing disaffection to GNU/Linux by former
> enthusiast people, and this can simply spell the final doom on the
> credibility of open-source.
[snip]

I've begun to see a lot of former Windows enthusiast people get
disaffected, too. That doesn't mean very much, IMNSHO.

As for spelling doom on the credibility of open-source... if open-source
were *this* easily doomed, it'd had been over a long time ago, and we
wouldn't even be here today.  If open-source were really so fragile that a
few lines of code can doom it, then I'd better be switching back to
Windows before it's too late.

"You know, maybe we don't *need* enemies." "Yeah, best friends are about all
I can take." -- Calvin & Hobbes