Re: language-specific packages

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:06:29AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> > > c) i don't want to wait an hour or two for the
> > > packages to download, i want them already on my local disk when I have
> > > time to do the upgrade.
> >
> > How about using squid and doing "apt-get update && apt-get -y -d
> > upgrade && apt-get autoclean" in a cronjob?
>
> it's not good enough.  a proxy cache is not even close to a mirror.

He's right, you know. It could potentially be very useful to be able to
select/exclude/prioritise large numbers of packages based on the languages
which they associate with. Apart from building partial mirrors when you know
damn well that none of your users are interested in foreign documentation,
you could use it during task-based package selection, for example.

At least engage brains and think about it before letting rip with the
flamethrowers (OK, so the response above wasn't one of the hot ones, but
some of them were clearly from people with hair-triggers)...

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You never know how many friends you have until you rent a house on the beach.