Re: Results from the Security Survey last Year

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:17:05AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Conclusion
>
> I will probably continue to support potato with security updates at
> least until end of June 2003 and I hope that the other members of the
> Security Team will do the same.  This means that we support potato for
> additional 12 months after the release of woody, which is much more
> than users can expect from a group of volunteers who only work on the
> system for the sake of it.

Just thinking about something ....

Since these people are clearly businesses, would this kind of support
not be a good place for a commercial debian distibutor (like progeny) or
whatever to provide the support. Alternatively, they could consider
donating money to SPI earmarked for hiring some full time security
people who would be in charge of doing security releases for potato, or
something such.

Sure, this is a bit far from what debian represents and has done in the
past, but i am sure the alternatives for those people is more expensive,
and altough SPI cannot make profit, there is nothing against receiving
money and hiring personal, well at least that is so in french
non-for-profits, don't know about US or german ones.

Friendly,

Sven Luther