Re: [debian-devel] mICQ roundup

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:32:03 +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann
<debian-list-Z03BQH65YjkN@ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:
>>--[Marc Haber]--<mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de>
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:36:02 +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann
>> <debian-list-Z03BQH65YjkN@ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:
>> > Does Debian improve the reputation of mICQ by shipping a version with an
>> > extremely annyoing bug that could trivially be fixed, and refusing to
>> > fix it several times?
>> You are complaining about our release process, which is well
>> documented. The release process says: Once it's frozen, we only add
>> bug fixes. And once it's stable, we only add security fixes.
>
>Debian 3.0r0 shipped Mozilla 1.0.0. Debian 3.0r1 ships Mozilla 1.0.1. Your
>statement is simply wrong. Mozilla 1.0.1 doesn't have only bug fixes.

If I recall correctly, it was especially difficult to backport _only_
the security fixed because of the sheer size of the 1.0.0 to 1.0.1
patch. There has been a substantial flamewar about this, and I can
fully understand this now. It was expected that this would be called
as precedence.

How many LOC does mICQ have, and how many LOC does Mozilla have?

>When
>the DoS was fixed, why wasn't the bug fixed in the same go?

Because these two patches were obviously clearly separated and didn't
interact with each other.

>> >Think about it. And think about the update procedures in stable.
>> We won't do that. The stable release process is fairly OK. It is
>> responsible for Debian's reputation of being slightly outdated, but
>> rock stable to use in production environments. When we light-heartedly
>> start accepting new software versions, we might risk that reputation.
>
>Please. I did not request Debian to ship a newer version of mICQ.

But you requested non-security related bug fixes in stable, which is
_documented_ as something that we don't do, as a rule.

>My requests aren't unreasonable at all.

But they are not covered by policy. If we bend policy here, the next
maintainer will request the same for his package. And we spend even
_more_ time with flaming instead of killing bugs.

Greetings
Marc