Re: How should this issue be handled, should it be taken to the Technical Ctte?

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:52, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > This is a bit like filing a bug against the kernel saying that it should
> > be merged with OpenBSD.
>
> Bullshit. Their mkinitrd is also a shell script and IMHO much better
> readable then yours.

Last time I compared Herbert's mkinitrd with the Red Hat one I determined that
Herbert's one seemed better.  Some RH users I know did the same comparison
and reached the same conclusion.

The RH one may be more readable, but I've found Herbert's code to be readable
enough.

> And what are your plans with this requests? Where are your requests for
> help? Where are your own ideas for the particular implementations? You just
> make people believe that their wishes are known, registred in the BTS, and
> you make them wait, and wait, and wait, and they can only use alternativ
> solutions (recompiled kernel with initrd made by lvmcreate_initrd).

It would be good if there was more communication from Herbert.  Also I have
written quite a number of helper scripts for making initrd's which I have
offered to Herbert for inclusion in an "examples" directory, but he has
declined.

> > Take it to the Technical Committee if you have nothing better to do.
>
> Hell, do you think that if YOU are the kernel maintainer, you know better
> than everyone else what the users need, and everything outside of your
> scope is bullshit, toys, not important for productive use?
>
> ANSWER PLEASE. NOW. With an answer we can expect of a maintainer of your
> level, DO NOT THROW WITH SOME FUD.

Maybe you should take it to the technical committee?