Re: Name for configuration packages

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> I have a bunch of packages where I have split the configuration into
> dedicated packages, allowing the configuration to be completely
> exchanged without having to touch the actual program. This greatly
> eases maintaining multiple servers since I can rely on dpkg conffile
> handling even for locally changed files.

> I usually have the main package foo depend on foo-config, and one or
> more packages foo-config-$SITE provide foo-config.

> I am now thinking about putting one of these packages in Debian, and I
> will need to upload "default" configuration packages. I am wondering
> how to call these packages. foo-config-debian? foo-config-default?
> foo-config-distribution? Can an actual package be called foo-config if
> another packagefoo-config-bar provides foo-config?

Hello,
Afaict yes. There ar a lot of packages in debian that are both virtual
(i.e. Provided) and real packages: abuse-lib (provided by
abuse-frabs), aegis (pb aegis3), aumix (pb aumix-gtk), automake, bison
(pb bison++), emacs20 (pb emacs20-dl), etc.

> The exim4 packages that are currently being prepared will probably use
> that scheme, so I'd like to reach consensus about the name for the
> config package shipped with the distribution.

Just for clarification: Unless Marc has found some magic there will
probably only be one exim4-config in /Debian/ because an uninstalled,
but not purged exim4-config-blah (it only contains configuration
files) and exim4-config-bar cannot coexist.
             cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_