Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On 14-Feb-03, 10:40 (CST), Remi VANICAT <vanicat@debian.org> wrote:
> May be, but it seem that some of our user want it, so why forbid them
> to have it.

Having a maintainer request that a package be removed because he is no
longer willing to maintain it is hardly "forbidding our users to have
it". They are free to download and install it themselves. In many cases,
they can even use a Debian package from the upstream site.

There are two basic requirements for a piece of software to be
distributed by use: that it be legal to do so, and that someone is
willing to package and maintain it. Neither the users nor the upstream
author(s) have any "right" for a particular piece of software to be so
distributed by us. Likewise, our lack of distribution in no way affects
the ability of a user to obtain and use the software, if they want to.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net