Re: /etc/network/interfaces & point-to-point ethernet & broadcast address

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:27:57 +1100, Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
>I have been looking at the "ip address" command.
>
>It appears to be the new (and cleaner) way to add addresses to network
>devices (previously known as aliases).

Yes. And Debian would have had a elegant way to use ip (from the
iproute package) if ifupdown's maintainer would finally apply the
patch from Bug #88948.

I have a package ready that allows ifupdown to do much more magic.
That package is in use for one and a half years at the site I work
for, but it needs the patch (better said, the current version of that
patch) from Bug #88948 applied.

The patch is trivial, it doesn't break backwards compatibility. It has
been impossible to get a statement from the ifupdown maintainer since
the bug has been filed.

Greetings
Marc