Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:52:04PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> This brings me to a more general issue: We need a procedure to
> "disown" maintainers. I mean, if they prove they suck at maintaining
> some package, some procedure to assign the package to someone
> else. The initial request could come from upstream, pissed off users,
> something like that (a "plaintiff"). Some procedure (a "trial") would
> then decide whether removing maintainership of that package from the
> maintainer would be just, fair and the better thing for Debian, its
> users, free software. We need a carefully crafted policy to guide the
> trial, to write down how these goals should be balanced.

This is more general, but not applicable here.  Upstream could have
brought this issue to the attention of developers using any of a number
of public forums; instead, he chose the software itself as his
battlefield.  I don't think having a bureaucratic procedure would have
changed matters.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer