Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:14:20PM +0100, Martin Loschwitz wrote:
> Most of you have probably already noticed it, but i am going to describe the
> situation one more time here so it gets stored in an archive somewhere.
>
> As of mICQ 0.4.10.1, the source code includes some bits that prevent mICQ
> from starting up on Debian boxes in specific (if EXTRAVERSION is not set to
> some value at compile time and the username you run the program with is not
> 'madkiss').

[snip]

> In my opinion, with this step, mICQ has proven as dishonorable to be distributed
> with Debian anymore (especially since nobody knows what idea upstream will have
> as next, maybe it's a very funny 'rm -rf /'?). Thus, i would like to request
> removal of the package from distribution.

I don't think we should remove micq and I'll try to explain my idea:
Rüdiger Kuhlmann, upstream author of micq, with this "anti debian easter
egg" showed to the world that there are some big problems between him
and the Debian maintainer of micq, so we should analyze these issues; I
just read the BTS page of micq, there are a lot of bugs reported by
him, and #167606 seems to be the "cause of scandal".
Maybe you and Joey, the stable Release Manager, could had understimate
the importance of this issue for him, and he had this dumb idea (I want
to be clear, I'm not justifing him).
We, as Debian developers, should try to cooperate with our beloved
upstream authors: come on Joey, accept micq in stable and you Rüdiger,
remove this stupid "easter egg" .. it's St. Valentine's Day! (well,
tomorrow, but who cares :)
To get back to the point, there's no need of an other flame war or to
remove the package, we just need a bit of cooperation and common sense.

Best Regards,
--
Davide Puricelli, dpuricelli@tin.it
Debian Developer: evo@debian.org | http://www.debian.org