Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7, LDAP, SSH, friends

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:20:16AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> We more or less got it working for db2 and db3 although it was
> significantly more painful than was at all acceptable.  I think that
> we need to used versioned symbols for sasl, openssl, Kerberos and a
> few other things that are likely to be dependencies of PAM modules,
> NSS switches, etc.
>
> There are some complexities getting this working on all of our
> architectures, so I have not come forward with a concrete proposal.

There are some BTS entries with relevent information on Sam's
concerns.

For instance, bug #95905 is something to watch out for (libtool
removing parameters to ld command line).

I am sure though there was a bug report I found previously
along the lines of "Cannot build from source on sparc" for the
exactly the same reasons Sam said, but I cannot seem to find it
right now.

IIRC it wasn't a bug in ld, its more along the lines of the static
initialization code which is automatically linked in, and cannot use use
versioned symbols, or otherwise the linker cannot find it.

(In case that doesn't make sense, I will keep trying to look for this
bug report).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>