Re: On the matter of Qt packaging

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:08:01AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:01:15PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> >
> > Addendum:
> >
> > The wisest thing to do IMHO is to prepare qt3 in a way that it works best
> > inside /usr/lib and /usr/bin while qt2, qt2e should be adapted and reworked
> > so they can still be used in parallel. That means, that sooner or later one
> > must find an agreement to use something like a QTDIR for those packages.
> > Martin got convinced now to use /usr/share/qt3 now for qt-x11-free-3.1.1, so
> > I would suggest /usr/share/qt2 for Qt 2.x, /usr/share/qt2e for Qt-embedded
> > 2.x and /usr/share/qt3e for Qt-Embedded 3.x.
>
> Isn't it possible to change upstream sources so that libqt3 uses
> QT3DIR, libqt2 uses QT2DIR etc... [or stick with only changing
> Qt3 if Qt2 cannot be rebuild...]

Qt2 will not change from /usr/share/qt.  There is no way I am going to
break backwards compatability.  By changing this it would break the builds
of anything in stable as well as any 3rd party applications.  Not going to
do it. The old can stay with the old way.  It won't conflict with what
we are doing with the new since we are moving away from /usr/share/qt.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II