Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

* Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> [2003-02-01 13:40]:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:11:38 -0500, "Matthew P. McGuire"
> <gray@shadowglade.net> wrote:
>>0 halt
>>1 single user mode
>>2 multiuser with no network services exported
>>3 normal/full multiuser
>>4 reserved for local use, default is normal/full multiuser
>>5 multiuser with xdm or equivalent
>>6 reboot
>
> Which runlevel would be default?

 If we go that way definitely runlevel 5 for it is just like what we
have currently: Everything enabled.

> How would 5 behave if no xdm or equivalent installed?

 How would you expect it to behave?  If it's not installed it can't be
run.  The rest that is installed behaves just like it should behave in
5 anyway, that is e.g. with less virtual consoles.  I am not sure if I
grok your question really....

 So long!
Alfie
--
> Unfortunately, an exponential reaches zero only at infinity.

It's only infinite if you're using non-integral numbers, which we are not.
        -- Herbert Xu, <E170UVr-0003Yi-00@gondolin.me.apana.org.au>