Re: rationalising the group for CD-recording

Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> wrote:
> I've raised a bug (#177253, and #174584 is related) in xcdroast concerning
> the group it assigns to binaries to allow non-root users to access
> CD-writing devices.

> xcdroast wants to assign group "xcdwrite" to a number of
> binaries, both its own (xcdrwrap) and those of other packages (cdrecord,
> mkisofs, cdda2wav, readcd), so that they do not have to be run as root.

> The problem is that the cdrecord package assigns group "cdrom" to cdrecord
> to do the same thing, hence xcdroast and cdrecord are in conflict.
[...]

Hello,
I vote for 'cdrom' for a very simple reason: It is already there on
all Debian systems and the cdrom-devices already are already 0660
root:cdrom (nice to have for reading CDs with cdda2wav using
the cooked_ioctl interface)

BTW: Do you know a simple algorithm to check which sg-device
corresponds to a given cdrom?
               cu andreas