Re: suggested virtual package name: dns-server

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:39:11PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> If you invested some effort you could probably manage this as
> alternative but I don't think it is worth the effort and the
> addedcomplexity. Installing two MTA's at the same time is only needed
> for special scenarios that need manual tweaking anyway.

I agree with the "tweaking" argument, and that in normal scenarios
it is unlikely that one needs to have two (or more) servers of any
same kind installed.
Using alternatives would be cleaner, imho, and it would be useful
to make for the "poor man's version of a lab" while migrating from
one server to the other.

But we deviate from the original question if having additional
virtual packages for DNS service is desirable or even necessary,
or not?
To me it looks like at least every service has "aquired" a virtual
package over time when enough diverse software packages implementing
it were floating around to make manual resolution a mess. My
impression is that with DNS software, we have reached that point,
too.

Best,
--Toni++