Re: gcc 3.2 transition in unstable

#include <hallo.h>
* Colin Watson [Tue, Jan 07 2003, 12:24:13AM]:

> I'm quite happy for it to be expressed in individual packages'
> build-depends (although it's a bit of a pain for backporting to stable,

Come on, backporting is an important task but it is already a pain for
building Sid packages [*], so another thing to fix up in the
Build-Depends brings backporters only few percent additional work.

> but hey ...). I just disagree with it being in the dependencies of
> build-essential, since the specific gcc version is not 'always needed to
> compile, link and put in a Debian package a standard "Hello, World!"
> program written in C or C++'.

Sure, but then people should be allowed to specify a build-dependency on
g++-3.2. Otherwise I do not see any good way to keep the the transition
consistently.

[*] Try backporting mutt, for example.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."
                                        The Borg, Star Trek