Re: Common security checks for a base installation - packages reviewed.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 11:22:24PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:23:06AM +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
>
> >        * Minimal dependancies upon external tools.
> >        * Ideally it would be written in Perl, not /bin/sh ;)
>
> 	That kind of contradicts the previous one. One of the good things
> about Tiger is that you can take the scripts to _any_ Unix system and 90%
> of them will work out of the box. Of course, this portability is not
> necessary in Debian since 'perl' will be installed by default.

> >   If it were up to me I'd first build up a list of tests, then code
> >  a simple wrapper/calling program in perl - and go from there...
> >
> 	Umm... I wouldn't use Perl but that's just IMHO.

This is OT but something I am interested in reading more about.
Could someone point me at some discussions on debian-devel
archives (or elsewhere) about the dependancy on perl of many
debian packages?

I'm interested in hearing arguments about how large the core
binary and library is, considering the low degree of
sophistication it is often used for, and discussions about
increasing modularity.

Thanks for your help,

--
Jon Dowland