The Debian Desktop Project (was: Re: Make Debian better (Re: Two Debian 3.0 reviews at Slashdot))

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 12:57, Mark Howard wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 16:21, Colin Walters wrote:
> > I have been thinking recently about starting a Debian Desktop
> > subproject, which is pretty strongly related to what you're talking
> > about.  Its main motto would be "Software which Just Works".
>
> Please do! I think this is greatly needed.

Ok. I was planning to do this later, but based on the feedback gotten
here and in private mail, I think there's a lot of interest.  So let's
do it!

I've created a web page:
http://people.debian.org/~walters/tmp/index.en.html
This will (hopefully soon) move to:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop

The Debian website is itself in the process of being moved, so this
might take a bit.

I put up a list of tenents and goals there; hopefully we all agree with
them, but if not, then we should figure that out first.

As I see it, the Debian Desktop subproject is not really a project with
separate needs.  At least 95% of what we will do is just fixing general
problems in Debian.  The existence of this subproject is just more an
acknowledgement that we realize there are problems, and we're going to
fix them.

There is no reason we cannot make Debian easy to use for the masses.  I
personally want to be able to completely replace the Windows XP machine
that my mom uses.  We're a fairly long way away from that, but I
strongly believe in the power of free software.  We've come this far,
and we can go much farther.

So I hope that people who are interested will take this opportunity to
knock some things off the todo list!  I know I am.