Re: enabling/disabling daemons

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 06:52:08PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Noah L. Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2002-09-23 19:09:52 -0400]:
> > Every time I've seen this argument made in the past, the response has
> > always be "well why did you install the package if you don't want to run
> > it?"  I don't think that reply is valid.  There are plenty of sane
> > reasons why you might want to install a server package but leave it
> > disabled.
>
> Please help me out here.  Could you expand upon some of those reasons?
> I can't really get a handle on it.  I would have replied with your
> typical reply as well.  If you don't want the daemon why install it?

Here are some candidates:

  * I'm just installing it to have a look, I don't want to turn it on
    yet.

  * The daemon is packaged together with a client program and is
    difficult to split (e.g. ssh).

  * I'm installing in a chroot which I'm later going to boot into, and
    don't want to start *any* daemons right now lest they do bad things
    to my running system.

I'm sure others can come up with more.