Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 6 2002)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> Andreas Tille wrote:
> > In fact you are right.  I would vote for a mandatory menu entry for every
> > program which has a user interface.
>
> I "vote" that you get to write the menu file for gnuplot, which after
> all has a graphical user interface, if it's fed the proper data file.
Well, gnuplot has in fact a user interface even if is just a text
interface.  This could be opened via menu (even if I admit that this
makes not much sense).

My general idea was:  There are users under certain *roles* who need
a trace of the installed programs in the menu system.  To support those
users we should try to get every package which contains programs with
reasonable user interfaces with apropriate menu entries.

I went one step further in the Debian-Med packages and tried to display
reasonable information about the installed program (hint to manpages, offline
or online documentation) to inform the user about the program which is
installed and how to use it.  This might be overkill for many users
but there are users in certain roles who will like that.

Kind regards

       Andreas.