Re: Upcoming bug mass-filing re. non-free TrueType fonts in main

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 06:03:12PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > I think something like the LPPL would merely do the trick. Modifying the
> > font would be allowed, but would also require a name change.
>
> After looking over the LPPL, it looks like it would do the job.  Do you know
> of any precedent for LPPL being used for packages containing nothing but
> fonts, and in particular, fonts not specific to TeX/LaTeX?  It would be nice
> to be able to cite such precedents when recommending the license to
> fontographers.

There was a very long thread about the LPPL on debian-legal, and it hasn't
been settled.  (Requiring name changes are allowed by the DFSG, but there's
no consensus that this includes *filename* changes.)  I'd strongly suggest
avoiding this license.

--
Glenn Maynard