Re: Upcoming bug mass-filing re. non-free TrueType fonts in main

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 01:16:14PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> So now, the list of packages in violation of non-free font licenses:

> feh
> - contains 'helmetr' (Sun)[1]
>
> gozer
> - contains 'helmetr' (Sun)[1]
> xplanet
> - contains 'helmetr' (Sun)[1]
> Footnotes:
> [1] I have been told that the OpenOffice fonts are not free and were
>     pulled from CVS a short while ago.  This puts ttf-openoffice
>     into question and any other package that contains a font included
>     in ttf-openoffice.  I need confirmation of this before I can file
>     bugs.

I now have official word from Sun in a private email that these fonts were
never free to begin with, that they were only in OpenOffice CVS for 6 months
before they were yanked, and that in any event, even StarOffice has stopped
using them becuase of 'insufficient quality'.

So, not only the above packages are buggy, but also ttf-openoffice and any
package with a dependency on it.  I'm planning on filing all of the bugs
tonight.

Now would be a really good time for people to email authors of decent
TrueType freeware fonts to see if they can be convinced to put their fonts
under a DFSG-free license if anyone is interested in doing that.

Ben