Re: ITO: LILO

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 08:37:43AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 06:44:12PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Yes, you obviously don't have time.  Please take responsibility for the
> > software you maintain, and write proper changelog entries.

> So what do you expect exactly - that a developer will diff the upstream
> code to describe exactly how the bug was fixed in excruciating detail in
> the debian/changelog?

> Get real. It should be sufficient to say that the new upstream version
> closes the bug. If you want more info, read upstream's changelog.

Why is it asking so much that maintainers should say *something* about
the bug in the changelog entry where it's being closed?  This is not an
RDBMS; duplicating information is not a sin.  Yet every time someone is
criticized for the use of changelog entries which are indeed quite
useless, there is no dearth of developers rising to the defense of this
ridiculous practice.  I can understand trying to save a few words if the
maintainer has a physical disability.  Do we really have so many
developers for whom summarizing a bug costs so much effort?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer